Breathing in and out seems like an everyday activity that we don’t usually give it a second thought. However, as basic as breathing may be, have you paused to ask yourself when you last took a deep breath? Probably not as frequently as you think.
Unknown to many, deep breathing is one of our easiest, most convenient, and natural tools to combat issues like stress and anxiety, reduce pain, high blood pressure, and even aids in digestion?
The extra oxygen cleanses, opens, and soothes the body and mind thereby adding to general wellbeing. Here are a few benefits to deep breathing.
Decreases Stress, Increases Calmness
Your heart rate slows when you take deep breaths, this way, more oxygen is introduced to the bloodstream and communicates to the brain to relax. Deep breathing also ups your endorphins, the “feel-good” chemical.
As stated above, deep breathing triggers the release of endorphins, which not only helps create a feeling but also combats pain.
Stimulates The Lymphatic System (Detoxifies the body)
Breathing helps to cleanse the body of toxins as earlier stated. It does this 70% while the other 30% is through the bladder and bowels. The body is put under the pressure of working overtime to find ways to release toxins if you do not take deep breaths.
The body is able to absorb nutrients and vitamins easily when it is fully oxygenated. What this means is that the cleaner the blood, the harder it is for illnesses to stay put in your system.
The more oxygen that is in the blood, the better our body functions. It also improves our stamina.
Lowers Blood Pressure
Deep breathing slows and regulates the heart rate, which helps with lowering your blood pressure. When you take a deep breath, the muscles relax and this allows your blood vessels to dilate, which improves circulation and lowers blood pressure.
The more you breathe deep, the healthier blood flow you will produce, which in turn promotes your organs to function more effectively, including your intestines.
Helps Support Correct Posture
Next time you breathe in, notice that you simultaneously lengthen and straighten your spine. In order to take a deep breath in, your lungs take up maximum space, your diaphragm pulls down, so in turn, your torso straightens in order for this to be possible.
Helps You Sleep Better
Following a simple deep breathing regime- ‘5-4-3-2-1’ can guarantee better sleep. Taking slow, deep, long breaths can signal your body to detoxify and return to a sense of calm- which can help you sleep better. Those undergoing insomnia are often suggested practicing breathing exercises, along with meditation before bedtime for good sleep.
Increases Energy Level
Due to increased blood flow, we get more oxygen into our blood. Increased oxygen results in increased energy levels.
Breathing deep supplies more oxygen to all our body parts including our digestive system, thus making it work more efficiently. The increased blood flow due to deep breathing also encourages intestinal action which further improves your overall digestion. In addition, deep breathing results in a calmer nervous system, which in turn also enhances optimal digestion.